Modern History XX Faro inclined by Hurricane Beulah in 1967, is the symbol of Puerto Morelos Pto.Morelos despite being a small town located between two major tourist developments internationally recognized (Cancun and Playa del Carmen) has a longer history than these. Its modern history begins in the late nineteenth century, in 1898 the founding of the Colonization Company East Coast of Yucatan, due to the need for an outlet to the sea to export their products, the company ordered its workers to open gap Hacienda de Santa Maria (now Leona Vicario) southwest workers gradually reached the Caribbean Sea and named the point as “Punta Cork”, establishing the first families in a camp in rudimentary huts. In this gap tended to narrow-gauge rails 40 and 60 cm wide and circulated platforms called Truck and pulled by mules.The company owned a steamboat coming every month Anchoring in the Caribbean Sea, the absence of a dock to dock, timber and other forest products were thrown into the sea and small boats were rescued and products uploaded by sisal rope to the boat. Over time it built a warehouse and a wooden pier giving birth to a new town that eventually would be called Puerto Morelos. Extracted and exported products of the forest were logwood, chicle, vanilla, snuff, cedar and cork. Puerto Morelos is beginning to progress and becomes not only the oldest natural port of Quintana Roo, but the most important statewide. It is about the year 1923 when the logwood lost demand in international markets, but establishes the company “Colonia Santa Maria” dedicated to the exploitation chicle, henry fool and influencing the local economy by establishing their warehouses in the port collection.Puerto Morelos in 1929 was a village with wooden houses, a pier, one street parallel to the coast and a warehouse. In 1936 by presidential decree is founded Ejido Puerto Morelos, the demarcation and physical delivery of ejido land is carried out in 1944. In the 1950 census reported a population of eighty people. Shipping Terminal pier in Puerto Morelos During the late sixties, were extracted hardwoods as Chechen (Metopium Brown), to sell the federal government and used for the construction and maintenance of railways. Chicle production declined drastically in 1980 due to the introduction of synthetic substitutes, low world market prices and natural disasters like fires and hurricanes.In the 70 National Tourism Fund (FONATUR) gives way to the creation of Cancun, and the promotion of tourism, Puerto Morelos began a phase of population and economic growth characterized by the immigration of people from around the country and the abroad, making the town a cosmopolitan atmosphere. It also settled the forest areas of the legal estate in Puerto Morelos, located about two miles from the coast, on both sides of the 307 highway Chetumal-Puerto Juarez On October 2, 1975 published in the Official Journal of the Federation, approval of an area of 3.337 hectares for the village of Puerto Morelos, municipality of Cozumel, the establishment of public services, parks, markets, cemeteries, slaughterhouses, prisons and other services.Subsequently, on 30 October 1998 adopted a new Master Plan for Puerto Morelos, municipality of Benito Ju rez (Quintana Roo) where the land area was increased to 5.440 hectare site located to henry fool the east and the west of the 307 highway, Chetumal-Puerto Juarez. Until 2002 Puerto Morelos was the most important point of collection and supply of the island of Cozumel, via ferry route covered in a time of three hours, with the opening of the artificial port of Calica (nearest point to Cozumel) this route is covered in a shorter time. On 7 October 2007, the full council of the municipality of Benito Ju rez, approved in special session to Puerto Morelos raise the category of Delegation to Municipal Hall.